Monday, September 11, 2017

Rogue One felt more Star Wars-y than Force Awakens

I just watched Rogue One for the first time. I'd put it off for a while, because I'd felt a bit disappointed by The Force Awakens and I'd read a few negative things about the former.

After watching Rogue One, however, I feel like it was the better movie. It actually felt like an epic Star Wars film.

Say what you like about Lucas' prequels, the one thing he nailed was building a universe. The problem with TFA, for me at least, was that it somehow managed to feel very small. The galaxy felt small, the Rebellion felt small, the Empire felt small. It didn't capture the epic magnitude of the originals or even the prequels.

Conversely, Rogue One nailed the scale of the franchise. Obviously it had its flaws, but it felt like it was made by someone who understood the Star Wars universe, which was something I felt was missing in TFA (E.G, ex-Stormtrooper inexplicably holding his own against a Sith Lord, kinda thing).

Interested to hear if others felt the same way, or if it's just down to watching both films in different moods or something.



Submitted September 11, 2017 at 12:53AM by twoverend http://ift.tt/2xZIEcD

No comments:

Post a Comment