Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Stand By Me (1986)

This is a film which I grew up watching. Why my folks allowed me to watch it at such a young age is beyond me, but I'm thankful they did. It's one of those endlessly quotable films, and my siblings and I make sure to do so on a daily basis practically. "You let him beat you, you cock knocker," "'You four-eyed pile of shit!' 'A pile of shit has a thousand eyes,'" "Did he have to pay to get into the contest?" "'Look, you guys can go around if you want to, I'm crossing here, and while you guys are draggin' your candy-asses halfway across the state and back, I'll be waiting for you on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts.' 'You use your left hand or your right hand for that?'" and of course, "'Suck my fat one you cheap dimestore hood.' 'Suck my fat one? Whoever told you had a fat one Lachance?' 'Biggest one in four counties.'"

I was 3 years old when this film was released; I'm now 33, and enjoy watching it just as much if not more (definitely more) than I did when I was young. I can't say that for some cheesy shit like Sandlot, nor most of the films from my youth which have not aged well. I sing along to the theme song of a show I never watched, as the boys do walking along the train tracks (a nice little nod given by Stranger Things ensured I loved that show). I cry with Chris, when he finally admits that being seen as the tough guy with a delinquent trouble-making older brother isn't without its pitfalls, or when Gordy wonders aloud if the wrong brother died, as some, even his father, have at times also wondered.

At its heart this film is about four boys only just barely coming of age, when confronting the existential dilemma of death by heading into the woods looking for it.

I could probably write much more about this film, but I'm afraid I've rambled enough. I really want to hear your thoughts on it please. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for sharing.



Submitted August 30, 2017 at 09:56PM by Assmar http://ift.tt/2xzrthT

No comments:

Post a Comment