Thursday, August 31, 2017

My Rant on M. Night Shyamalan's Movie "Split" [Spoilers]

I thought M. Night Shyamalan's movie "Split" was very enjoyable to watch. It made me tense throughout. However, I was very angry when watching this movie. Why you ask?

It's very cliche when watching horror movies that the viewer gets angry at the protagonist and other characters in the movie because they make bad decisions. You know when you watch a slasher movie and you are like "OMG! Get out of the house! No!!! Don't do that!!!" and it is very frustrating? Well, during the whole movie I felt like that.

Spoilers

I am sure not a lot of people would agree with this, but I think the one person to blame in this movie, the one person who is responsible for all the girl's demise, is the therapist. The therapist enjoyed talking to Dennis (or whatever personality she was talking to). She was highly interested in him. It almost seemed like she was using him to boost her ego so she can be respected in the therapist community. It was almost like she was playing a game with him and not realizing how dangerous this guy is. Did she not realize how dangerous it was to let a man with 24 split personalities to roam freely in the world and not in a mental institution? I remember her saying near the end "I lost so many of my patients to the system and I try so hard not to" (or something along those lines). There was something so unlikable about the therapist. Especially towards the end when she went into Dennis' living quarters. How could she possibly think that it is safe to have a session with him in the middle of the night in his living quarters? All in all, I thought she was to blame for almost everything. The guy should have been in a mental institution. Especially after all the emails and him talking about his 24th personality, the beast. I mean seriously, if he already has 23 personalities, why would you not believe he has a highly dangerous 24th? I am sure she felt complete remorse when she was dying.

Remember when Casey (the main brunette girl) used the radio to call for help and the security guards thought it was some kind of joke? Imagine if you were that security guard and heard that, wouldn't you check it out anyway? Blood is on those security guard's hands. At the end, you see the guilt on the security guard's face. I was so infuriated when I saw him. I know this is a little extreme, but he deserves to be in prison for a couple years for not responding to cries for help.

Ok, now lets talk about Casey. Towards the end, there is a note that said "Call him Kevin Wendell Crumb". Casey did call him this for him to get out of "The Beast" personality. However, when she eventually had the gun and was trying to kill him, why did she not call him by this name again so he stands still and then take an easy shot? Why did she not do this? Also, when the security officer (or zoo worker) found her towards the end, why did she just stay quiet? Why did she not say "Hey, there is a killer on the loose, it is the guy with the shaved head...", why did she stay quiet? I understand she was in shock, but "The Beast" could have easily killed them.

END SPOILERS

It was a good movie, but I never felt so frustrated watching a horror movie in my life. The characters should have acted differently and made better choices. I was literally yelling at my TV the whole time and saying "you know what, just die! You obviously are not witty enough to live". Sorry, but I had to rant about this movie.

Anyway, what did you all think? I would love to read thoughts and opinions. Maybe there is something I missed which explained the character's actions.



Submitted August 31, 2017 at 12:04AM by thesquarerootof1 http://ift.tt/2x7tN1Y

No comments:

Post a Comment